Bad accidents can cause horrifying injuries that change your life or even result in death. Car accidents often cause terrible injuries that require months or years of rehabilitation or permanent disability.
Suppose you or a loved one have a terrible accident that was the fault of another party. In that case, you may want to talk to a Charlotte personal injury lawyer about the next steps, which could include filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit against the negligent party.
Below is information about the worst accident injuries that are often referred to as catastrophic injuries:
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Brain injuries
- Amputation or loss of limbs
- Paraplegia or quadriplegia
- Severe burns
- Multiple broken bones
- Severe ligament or nerve damage
What Makes an Injury Horrifying or Catastrophic?
These severe injuries disrupt the injured person’s life in profound ways, as well as their family’s lives. These severe injuries are horrifying or catastrophic because of the nature and scope of the injuries and how they affect the victim and loved ones.
What Makes These Severe Injuries Unique?
Catastrophic and horrifying injuries are those that cause severe harm. These injuries pose more potential for life-long damages, whether it is a painful and slow recovery, permanent cognitive or physical deficits, or life-changing impairments.
While the damages victims suffer vary, all catastrophic injuries cause severe financial, physical, and emotional losses. Regarding economic damages, catastrophic injuries have a higher potential for significant losses from the following:
- Medical costs including emergency treatment, surgeries, several procedures, intensive patient rehabilitation, extended hospital stays, medications, and more
- Future medical requirements that will be needed to deal with deficits and injuries in the future, such as surgeries and other costly procedures, medical monitoring, in-home daily living assistance, etc
- Lost income caused by not being able to work much or at all
- Lost future wages from reduced earning capacity because of not performing the work they did before
- Financial losses from the family who must help with injury-related costs, take time to care for the person
In addition to these costly economic damages, victims with horrific injuries face heavy non-economic losses:
- Pain and suffering for months or years
- Slow, painful rehabilitation and recovery
- Emotional and psychological suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Lost companionship and consortium
Severely injured victims usually suffer harms that cause life-long consequences. These damages arise from:
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Loss of bodily or sensory function, including sight or hearing
- Permanent disfigurement from scarring or amputation
- Cognitive or physical deficits, such as reduced mobility or memory problems
Experts such as personal injury attorney Cherry Hill must evaluate these severe injuries so there is an accurate assessment of damages and losses. This may require collaboration with expert witnesses who can support the claim that the wounds will lead to continuing impairment and financial losses.
Plaintiffs who pursue court cases over catastrophic injuries can face a tough fight from the insurance company representing the liable party. Insurance companies generally want to pay as little as possible to protect company profits. Catastrophic injury settlements pose a threat to the company’s finances. There is likely to be pushback from the defense. They may not just dispute fault
but may claim that your injuries are not as threatening as you claim.
Defendants often argue the plaintiff was partially at fault for the accident or challenge the value of anticipated future expenses.
These catastrophic and horrifying injury cases are complicated, expensive, and a lot is at stake. That is why it is critically important to hire a skilled and experienced personal injury attorney who can prove the severity of your injuries so you can get the largest possible settlement.