We might not be as extravagant as folks in America, but there’s a few things that make Halloween in Scotland particularly special. Here’s 13 reasons why a Scottish Halloween is the best!
1. We have original…and fantastically dark taste in Halloween costumes.
If a little concerning.
For halloween I’m gonny dress up as a speed bump n lay in the road
— SCOTTISH TWlTTER (@SCOTTlSHTWlTTER) October 31, 2016
2. And we see right through the slew of nonsense costumes that hit the shelves every October.
The correct term for this ‘Sexy poop emoji’ ridiculousness.
“What are you going as for Halloween this year?”
“A slutty jobby” pic.twitter.com/3ysvB33VIg
— jerry garcia (@samcannotsee) September 30, 2016
3. Of course, costumes must involve a visit to the iconic Tam Shepard’s.
The joke shop is over a century old, and has been voted Glasgow’s best shop!
4. The buses run to Hogwarts.
— Scottish Citylink (@ScotCitylink) October 10, 2017
5. We insist that children entertain us when they beg for sweets.
Those who don’t can expect something like this is their Halloween sack.
6. We’re making our own terrifying films.
Sure, Hocus Pocus is a classic. But if you’re looking for something different this Halloween – ‘Matriarch’ is a Scottish indie horror created by ex River City actor Scott Vickers. It’s screening at Glasgow Horror Fest.
7. Halloween gives us even more opportunity to insult each other.
We do love a creative insult.
— Marina O’Loughlin (@MarinaOLoughlin) August 13, 2018
8. Because how our favorite bakery copes with the Season is major news.
Getting a Halloween ring bun as a child was really exciting though.
9. Speaking of Greggs…
We think it’s supposed to be a worm.
— Pete (@Pist0l_Pete) October 21, 2012
10. We INVENTED Pumpkin carving.
Historically we used turnips, but the whole tradition of pumpkin carving can be traced to Scotland and Ireland in the 19th century.
11. We have the best Scare Actors.
12. Everything literally stops for Halloween.
13. We’re not scared of horror villains.
Whether it’s wise or not…